“Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving.” –W.T. Purkiser
I thought today would be the perfect opportunity to take a moment to remind myself how wonderful life is. Days, months, and years pass by in the blink of an eye. It’s sometimes hard to remember to count your blessings. On this beautiful Thanksgiving Day, I thought I’d list a few of the things I’m thankful for — every single day of the year.
- Family: While the photo above is only of my mom’s side of the family, I’m thankful for my entire kin. Through the years, I’ve realized that there’s one constant in this world and that’s family. They’re supportive, full of love, and always there to pick me up when I’m down. I’m so thankful for how close we all are, despite the distance!
- Boyfriend: Not only is he my boyfriend, but he’s my best friend. We’ve been through thick and thin together, since we were both 15 years old. Ryan has the sweetest heart and takes such good care of me. I’m such a lucky girl to have met my soulmate at such a young age. There’s no doubt I’m thankful for this wonderful, handsome man!
- Friends: The seven ladies with me in the picture above are some of my dearest friends. We bonded during our study abroad trip with the J-School. I’m not sure I could survive without the laugh-until-you-cry feeling, late night girl talks, and dinner dates with these girls. These are only a few of the friendships in my life I’m thankful for.
- Professors/Mentors: During my almost-four years at the University of Florida, I’ve gained some very insightful mentors who I deeply admire. They’ve helped me gain opportunities within the college and beyond. I’m very thankful for all of their guidance and support throughout the years. I know I’ll continue to keep in touch with them after graduation.
- UF’s College of Journalism and Communications: All of the people, places, and things I’m thankful for lead up to this wonderful place right here. The CJC is my second home and I’ve bragged about it plenty in previous blogs. I’ve grown not only as a journalist and a student, but as a human being. I will graduate the college in May as a proud Gator and a multimedia journalist prepared to take on the world of broadcasting. What I’ve learned in Gainesville I will carry with me forever. I cannot wait to show the world what I’ve got thanks to the CJC!
Of course, I’m also thankful for health, happiness, and the love I’m surrounded by every day. I’m thankful to spend this marvelous Thanksgiving day with the people I love. I’m extra thankful this year because who knows where I will be next year. We all know a journalist’s job doesn’t halt for the holidays! That’s why it’s important for me to spend quality time with loved ones this year.
In general, I’m constantly thankful for life and all of its blessings! Every day is special and today I hope we all take a moment to soak it all in. May the beginning of your holiday season be bright and cheery. Happy Thanksgiving, folks!
2012 Summer: Study Abroad
UF CJC: Department of Telecommunications
Opportunities in the CJC: WUFT.org
Networking & Technology: Center for Media and Innovation
Multimedia Journalist: LaurenRautenkranz.com